The Adventures of Carbon
In The Adventures of Carbon you’ll meet a carbon atom and travel with him as he journeys around the earth, as he meets up with other atom friends to form different types of molecules, such as carbon dioxide in the air, sugar in living things, fossil fuels in the ground, and even bicarbonate in the ocean.
|BOGO for BNC||1 - 2||Get any cheapest one of A Butterfly's Evening Adventure ($9.99)
A Wide World of Vertebrates ($9.99)
Amazing Animal Migrations ($9.99)
Discovering DNA ($9.99)
Freddie and His Ocean Friends ($9.99)
Life in the Desert ($9.99)
Mighty Magnets ($9.99)
Molecules are Everywhere! ($9.99)
Numbers in Nature: Playing with the Fibonacci Sequence ($9.99)
Our Neighbor, the Moon! ($9.99)
Plate Tectonics: The Changing Continents ($9.99)
See With Your Ears! Dolphin and Bat Echolocation ($9.99)
Take Off with Airplane Science! ($9.99)
The Adventures of Carbon ($9.99)
The Scoop on Sharks ($9.99)
The Adventures of Carbon: Have you ever heard of something called carbon? You might know it’s in the world around you but not really understand what it is. In The Adventures of Carbon from Be Naturally Curious you’ll meet Carbon Cal, one of many carbon atoms on our planet, and travel with him as he journeys around (and above!) the earth. You’ll learn that he meets up with other atom friends to form different types of molecules, such as carbon dioxide in the air, sugar in living things, fossil fuels in the ground, and even bicarbonate in the ocean. You’ll get to know Carbon Cal so well that you’ll even be able to figure out where he might be hiding the next time you take a walk in your neighborhood!
Mini-course is provided as a 29-page PDF including a Science Tool Kit page to collect your badges.
Course Contents for The Adventures of Carbon
- Story: Carbon Cal Travels the World. Join Carbon Cal as he takes on his many forms—from carbon dioxide to sugar to calcium carbonate—on his trip around the world.
- Activity 1: Where Does Carbon Cal Belong? Cut out Carbon Cal’s different forms and glue them in the correct places.
- Activity 2: Can You Be Carbon Cal? Can your friends guess which form of carbon you are acting out?
- Activity 3: It’s a Carbon Cycle Race! Race around the game board provided and collect cards from each of Carbon Cal’s favorite hangouts. Who will collect all the cards first?
- Activity 4: Make CO2 in Your Kitchen! Use baking yeast to learn how (almost) all living things breathe out carbon dioxide!
- Curiosity Connector. Links to fun activities and videos to learn more about where carbon is found in the world around us.
- Tools for Your Tool Kit. See if you can answer all the questions about Carbon Cal and his many forms to earn Tools for your Science Tool Kit.
- Glossary. Learn cool definitions for words such as respiration, photosynthesis, and fossil fuels.
Materials Needed for The Adventures of Carbon
Scissors, glue, small objects for board game (rocks, figurines), one coin, three to five packets of active dry yeast, narrow-mouthed plastic or glass bottle, balloon, measuring cup (for pouring), warm water, kitchen thermometer, sugar, salt