Life in the Desert
In Life in the Desert your child can learn some of the amazing adaptations plants and animals have to survive in a water-limited environment. From cactus spines to meerkat burrows, you will discover the amazing diversity of strategies living things have to make it in a harsh environment.
No water? What is a desert plant or animal to do? All kinds of cool things! In Life in the Desert from Be Naturally Curious you and your child can learn about some of the amazing adaptations plants and animals have to survive in a water-limited environment. From cactus spines to meerkat burrows, you will discover the amazing diversity of strategies living things have for making it in a harsh environment.
Mini-course is provided as a 51-page PDF including a separate Science Tool Kit PDF to collect your badges.
Course Contents for Life in the Desert
- Story: Nature’s Alive! In this beautifully illustrated story, join Sandy Saguaro for her show Nature’s Alive!, in which she interviews a whole slew of fascinating desert creatures.
- Activity 1: Desert Survival Game. Construct your own desert board game, including playing board (taped together from the worksheets) and game cards, and play to experience the different challenges faced by desert plants and animals. Who can find water first?
- Activity 2: Make a Desert Animal!Create your own desert animal, complete with feathers, scales, talons and more from the worksheets provided. You decide what strategies your animal uses to survive the harsh desert environment!
- Activity 3: Day and Night Adaptations. Pick a desert animal and re-enact a day in the desert. What will your creature do to find water?
- Activity 4: Evaporate! Use the scientific method, take measurements, and make graphs…all in this simple evaporation experiment. It’s easy to do real science at home with the right kind of guidance.
- Curiosity Connector. Check out these online resources to learn more about deserts and how plants and animals have adapted to survive.
- Tools for Your Tool Kit. See if you can answer all the questions about desert plants and animals to earn Tools for your Science Tool Kit.
- Glossary. Learn important scientific terms used for understanding desert life.
Homeschooling Science? Here are some great articles to help.
Check out these other unit studies from Be Naturally Curious.
In addition to Life in the Desert , You Might also like:
SEA Homeschoolers Gear is for secular homeschooling kids & parents alike. It is perfect for park days! The t-shirts and magnets have the tree logo that was specially designed for the group Secular Eclectic, Academic Homeschoolers. The design represents a phylogenetic tree showing the evolution of learning as something that is holistic and reflective of the many different types & styles of learning. Blair Lee, evolutionary biologist, chemist, & founder of SEA Homeschoolers, commissioned artist Don McIntire to create this logo. The tree is symbolic of SEA Homeschoolers tagline, “An Evolution in Homeschooling.”
Check out all the SEA Homeschoolers merchandise.