Molecules are Everywhere!
In Molecules Are Everywhere! kids will learn that small things called atoms are the building blocks of molecules. Atoms often have lonely electrons that want to pair with lonely electrons in other atoms, and when this happens, atoms can come together to make molecules!
|BOGO for BNC||1 - 2||Get any cheapest one of A Butterfly's Evening Adventure ($9.99)
A Wide World of Vertebrates ($9.99)
Amazing Animal Migrations ($9.99)
Discovering DNA ($9.99)
Freddie and His Ocean Friends ($9.99)
Life in the Desert ($9.99)
Mighty Magnets ($9.99)
Molecules are Everywhere! ($9.99)
Numbers in Nature: Playing with the Fibonacci Sequence ($9.99)
Our Neighbor, the Moon! ($9.99)
Plate Tectonics: The Changing Continents ($9.99)
See With Your Ears! Dolphin and Bat Echolocation ($9.99)
Take Off with Airplane Science! ($9.99)
The Adventures of Carbon ($9.99)
The Scoop on Sharks ($9.99)
Have you ever wondered what things are made of? In the world around us we see things like wood, metal, and plastic, but what actually makes these materials different from each other? The answer is that they are made of different molecules. In Molecules Are Everywhere! from Be Naturally Curious kids will learn that small things called atoms are the building blocks of molecules. Atoms often have lonely electrons that want to pair with lonely electrons in other atoms, and when this happens, atoms can come together to make molecules! Molecules Are Everywhere! will introduce you to Ellie the Electron and her cousin, Sam, who will help you explore the world of covalent bonding and show you how to make your own molecules.
Mini-course is provided as a 31-page PDF including a separate Science Tool Kit PDF to collect your badges.
Course Contents for Molecules are Everywhere!
- Story: Ellie the Electron Finds a Friend. Join Ellie and her hydrogen atom as they look for other lonely electrons and introduce you to the concept of covalent bonding.
- Activity 1: Make a Molecule! Cut out atoms and make your own molecules using the guide provided.
- Activity 2: Be a Molecule with Your Friends. Now it’s time to BE part of a molecule yourself. Grab some friends or stuffed animals and get ready to bond!
- Activity 3: Electron Match Card Game. Cut out the playing cards and see who can get the most points by pairing lonely electrons and making molecules.
- Activity 4: Let’s Experiment! Make New Molecules. Use some easy-to-find ingredients to perform a chemical reaction in your kitchen. Learn how atoms can rearrange to form new molecules!
- Curiosity Connector. Delve deeper into the world of chemistry and molecules with some online resources.
- Tools for Your Tool Kit. See if you can answer all the questions about atoms and molecules to earn Tools for your Science Tool Kit.
- Glossary. Learn cool new chemistry definitions.
Materials Needed for Molecules are Everywhere!
Scissors, tape, calcium carbonate chalk, white vinegar, string or yarn, Popsicle sticks, eggshells, small bowl or cup